Friday, January 15, 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Genre: Young Adult, Horror Dark Fantasy
Time: 4 hours

2015 Book Challenge: a book that scares you

This is my second attempt on the book that scares youchallenge.  The first book I chose, Blockade Billy, wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be.  I’ve seen this book before in the bookstore and I was intrigued but not enough to buy it.

The part really scared me were the pictures of the “peculiar children.” It wasn’t scary, per se, but my imagination just ran wild.  I freaked myself out when book described the “blind neighbor” watering the plants.  But when I found out what they were, it wasn’t as scary anymore.  But I’m still considering this as the book that scared me coz it was a good third of the book before I found out who those kids were in the pictures plus the fact that I was reading it past midnight with the lights off, hehehe..

All in all, concept wasn’t entirely new.  Kinda reminds me of X-Men.  The kids were sorta like the mutants who were they were “still human” but a different kind (they explained it as a different homo something), so kinda like the mutants in X-Men who are a more evolved kind of human.  Only difference is that X-Men focused on the “mutations” that were used as powers or weapons whereas in this book it was more focused on deformities, the type you’d find in circuses as part of their freak shows.

I didn’t realize the book is part of the series until the end part.  Yes, it’s still intriguing but still not enough for me to look for the succeeding books to read but maybe interesting enough to google.  Not that it’s not any good, it’s just not my kinda thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment