Thursday, November 12, 2015

Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge

Title: Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge
Author: Laura Lee Hope
Genre: Children’s Book, Mystery
Time: 1.8 hours
2015 Book Challenge: a book from your childhood

I was originally gonna go for Anne of Green Gables for this book challenge but after reading the first few chapters into it (for a couple of times), it just didn’t click.  I’m like that sometimes.  My taste varies at different times.  Sometimes I feel like reading a mystery and sometimes I feel like reading romance.
 
So when I wrote the How it All Started post, I mentioned about reading Bobbsey Twins and I thought to myself, maybe I’ll go with a Bobbsey Twins book instead?  It’s more fitting since I read it when I was around 7 to 10 years old, while I started reading Anne of Green Gables in high school.
 
It was disconcerting to read about this happy, peppy, perfect family coming off from reading the likes of Purity, The Luckiest Girl Alive, In Death Series, etc., etc., etc.  Of course, what did I expect, it is a children’s book.  It was a bit annoying at first that I sort of sympathized with Danny (the resident bully) because, for a moment, I also wanted to hit Bert with a snowball to his face.  There were also some lines that felt a bit racist to me.  I guess these were acceptable when this was written.  It was a bit of a time travel with the kids not asking for the latest gadgets and video games for Christmas.  It was weird; they didn’t even have a car… or a TV! 
 
But you get used to it all eventually.  As it’s a children’s book, the story is pretty simple.  They get into minor scrapes along the way but triumph in the end.  They big mystery is solved and it all ends happily ever after.  I get how, as I kid, I ate this all up years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment