Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Sh*t My Dad Says

Title: Sh*t My Dad Says
Author: Justin Halpern
Genre: Non-Fiction, Humor
Time: 2.2 hours
2015 Book Challenge: a nonfiction book


I have the assumption that non-fiction books are boring and heavy to read, unless you find a memoir or biography by a comedian like Mindy Kaling or Chelsea Handler.  Since I already read their books, I had to look for something else. 
 
I came across this one and remembered the show of the same title and guessed this was what the show was based on.  I didn’t really follow the series but saw clips of it from channel surfing.  It’s supposed to be a comedy but it was just “meh” for me.  I think its run was short lived as it quietly disappeared.
 
The book version is actually very funny.  There were times I literally laughed out loud when reading it.  I like this kind of humor and I’m quite fond of profanities myself.  The dad character kinda reminded me of Jay from Modern Family.  He’s blunt, makes no apologies and foul-mouthed but his heart is in the right place.  The dad in the TV version came off as annoying.  It’s difficult to make this kind of character lovable and props to Ed O’Neil and the writers of Modern Family for pulling it off.  Personally, it’d be funnier if Jay swore a lot more but then I understand the show wouldn’t want to lose the younger audience if they were rated higher for mature content.
 
Verdict: I’d recommend this book to people who have the same humor as I do.
 
Update: So I found out that the author has another book and I think I might just read that one, too, when I’m done with this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment