Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reality Matters: 19 Writers Come Clean About the Shows We Can't Stop Watching




Title: Reality Matters: 19 Writers Come Clean About the Shows We Can't Stop Watching
Author: Mixed
Genre: Non-Fiction, Essays
Time: 2.8 hours
Rating: 4 out of 10

here's a short description of the book in goodreads.

When I got this book, I thought it was another Anna David novel.  When I read her novel Bought, I loved it so much that I've been looking for her other books ever since.  But as I started reading this book, I realized that it's basically essays written by different writers (Anna David being one of them) about Reality TV shows.  So I thought to myself, well, this could be interesting.  I have, more often than I would like to admit, wasted a whole afternoon, a whole evening and even a whole day, of binge watching these kind of shows.  Sometimes I enjoy certain shows so much that I would waited patiently each week for new episodes.

So what do I think of this book?.. meh.. I thought I'd enjoy it since one of my biggest guilty pleasures is watching "reality TV"--Ambush Make Over, Cheaters, Toddlers and Tiaras, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Little Women LA, Dog Whisperer, How Do I Look?, ANTM, Project Runway, Tyler Hollywood Medium, The Osbournes, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Pretty Wild. the list could go on and on.. but unfortunately, of the 18 Reality Shows covered in the essays, I've only watched 3 of them coz most of them are not shown where I live. So I couldn't really relate to them.  Or is it perhaps the shows I shows I watch are more low brow?

So I'm giving this a low score, not because it's not well written, but because I just couldn't connect with the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment