Friday, May 27, 2016

The Actress: A Novel

Title: The Actress: A Novel
Author: Amy Sohn
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Time: 6.8 hours
Rating: 6.5 out of 10

I didn’t like this book.  It’s not exactly because it was badly written; it’s just that the main character was just not likeable.  When we first meet Maddy, she seemed like this woman who knew who she was and what she wanted.  But when she started to get involved with Steven, she slowly became this spineless, doormat.  Halfway through the book, I was screaming to her in my head, “leave that motherfucker and just get on with your life!!!”

I guess I can’t totally blame her, though.  She started off as the unknown/nobody actor and here comes this big-time hollywood star and his big-time manager determined to make her fall in love with him.  Maddy reminds me of Anastasia in Fifty Shades of Grey, fresh out of college girl railroaded by a powerful, older guy.  Not a fan.


The plot also reminds me of the rumors I heard before of Tom Cruise supposedly auditioning girls to be his wife.  I read about it a long time ago, so I had to google it.  (Here’s the link, in case you’re interested) What boggles my mind is that if you get to choose and pick the wife you get, why not choose the one who has the same religion as you?  Why go for Catholic girls? O.o

No comments:

Post a Comment