Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Worst. Person. Ever.

Title: Worst. Person. Ever.
Author: Douglas Coupland
Genre: Humor
Time: 4.7 hours
2015 Book Challenge: a book with bad reviews

I was putting off doing this particular challenge because it would mean struggling to finish a book because I believed, bad reviews means not a well written book.  But as I searched for a book for this challenge, it turns out even best-selling books and timeless classics get bad reviews.  So I faced the dilemma of deciding what would qualify a book with bad reviews??  But in the interest of time, I said, screw it!  As long as there is a legit review (not a customer feedback in amazon or goodreads) that is publishedin a newspaper, then that would be the book for this.
 
So, here we are.  This wasn’t such a bad book as I’ve dreaded it to be.  It’s pretty easy to breeze through.  I thought the main character would be this awful, asshole psycho.  But turns out, he’s just very unlucky.  Very, very unlucky.  To be fair, he is a jerk but then, with everything that happened to him, you’d become a jerk, too.
 
When you started reading, you’re like, boy, that’s tough luck.  But as the amount of misfortune Raymond Gunt goes through piles up, you can’t help but think, this isn’t even realistic anymore.  Some of them are a doozy.  Some just completely jumped the shark.  It’s like a dying sitcom and the writers were like, I know, let’s bring in his overbearing mother!  Not enough drama? Okay, bring in the long-lost teenager kids (who he had no idea existed until now) into the mix!  Still not shocking enough? Okay, let’s make the hot girl he’s been lusting for have a dick!  I mean, come on.
 
To be fair, it didn’t start so bad.  I even laughed out loud during the part he shit his pants.  But as the book was about to end, it was like the author got carried away.

No comments:

Post a Comment